PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our kids — future Career
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2019, 12:50
Steepclimb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was about ten. I decided I wanted to fly, be a pilot. My main worry was that technology was advancing so fast that aircraft would be replaced by some other means of transport. At the time technology was advancing almost daily. Space, Concorde. It was all happening. I needn't have worried. Things have advanced but pilots are still needed. I doubt that will change much into the future.

But what did change was the ten year old me. Kids do change. While the OP's daughter is enjoying the simulator. That's not flying. It's a video game. I wonder have you taken her to the airport or indeed a flight in a light aircraft? Get some real world experience. More than one wannabee pilot has changed their mind rapidly when faced with the real thing.

Another thing I would not recommend is bypassing University for flight school. Not everyone makes it as a pilot. A failed medical can end a career overnight. Send her to college. She can learn to fly during the summer if she's still keen. Then flight school. Indeed maybe a cadetship might come along. Having a degree can help.

I have two boys 12 and 10 and thank goodness neither have the slightest interest in flying. Even though I took both flying several times and they enjoyed it.
I personally wouldn't recommend it as a career to anyone anymore but I'm a bit jaded. In the end even the love of flying wasn't enough.

So yes make plans but be prepared to change. A ten year old is one thing, a teenager is another creature entirely and that applies to either sex.

Last edited by Steepclimb; 25th Oct 2019 at 13:24.