PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hey EVERYONE
Thread: Hey EVERYONE
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2003, 20:43
spudskier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you're thinking about being a pilot. Here's a good route to take to see if it's right. Goto a local FBO or aviation school, get an intro ride. during the intro ride, ask yourself... are you sick? is this fun? could I be comfortable in a plane this small for a couple of years? later when you get to be a professional, could I deal with bad weather, sometimes being away from home for a few days?

If you liked the checkride and want to start lessons... when you go to get your Medical/student certificate, ask to try for a first class medical certificate, it's what an airline pilot would need. If you can't pass the requirements (good hearing, heart, health, eyes - especially color blindness) there's no point in making this your career.... maybe a hobby if you can get a 3rd or 2nd class certificate. You can get a list of what's needed to pass from AOPA.org or from your local Aeromedical examiner.

After all this, make sure you're ready to commit MANY hours to studying and hard work. FLying IS fun, but it's a LOT harder than it looks, the private certificate proves you can fly (supposedly) but the instrument certificate is the weed out course of aviation. This is NOT easy!! I'm almost done with mine. It's overwhelming at first and you have to REALLY want it!

Besides taking up a LOT of time with studying and practice, flying lessons are obviously VERY expensive. They say the average US flying student at a typical university spends an average of $36,000 on top of regular tuition. This DOES NOT count academys and specialty schools like Embry-Riddle. Most students spend a total of between $60,000 and $80,000 there.

For myself, I want this BADLY, I can't picture myself doing anything other than flying for a career for as long as I can. I've passed my private, part of my commercial and am a month or so away from my Instrument. I mean I'm an aviation geek, I read magazines, web sites, watch Discovery Wings Channel I can't get enough... (it's not the only thing in my life, I'm not looking for a burn-out at age 23)

anyway, point is... BE SURE