PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA urges ICAO to address erosion of 'manual' piloting skills
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 19:23
shamrock_f22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My questions to all the folk saying "we were right all these years, we saw this coming"...

Yes, but what did you DO about it?
How many of you challenged your airlines leadership?
How many of you went on strike in protest at the changing standards?
How many of you ignored changing SOPs and encouraged manual handling for new recruits regardless?
​​​​​How many of you called BS on the ATOs and went to the press to highlight the dangers?
What did you do to stop airlines from focusing on the bottom line and invest more in sim time and URT?
What have you done to shake up airline recruitment?
What have you done to help lower flight training costs and the barrier to entry for new pilots?
How many flight hours have you subsidised to help self funded pilots gain more manual handling practise before they went down the airline route?
What did you personally do to stop this situation from occurring?

I'm genuinely asking out of interest and curiosity. Mostly because there seems to be a touch of millennial bashing going on here.

You forget, the situation which exists today was not created by the recruits/MPL grads themselves, they are a product of the environment they're coming into. And don't forget the personal risks they've taken and sacrifices made to get there. Nobody is going to rock the boat and lose their seat, especially new recruits.
It doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it acceptable but we all have a part to play here.

​​​​​So my challenge back to you is what have you done to improve the situation we now find ourselves in using all your wisdom, experience and influence?

Last edited by shamrock_f22; 23rd Oct 2019 at 19:38.