PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing examines GEnx-powered 767-X for cargo and passenger roles
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 22:44
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
KC-46 does not have thrust reversers- but for some special uses they might be relatively easy to 'add' reinstall
I have to disagree on that one. A potential KC-46 customer wanted the reversers put back on, but it turns out that the room in the nacelle and strut that was freed up when the ditched the reversers was rapidly filled in with other stuff. So putting the reversers back would have been a huge engineering challenge.
There is a lot of stuff changed or added to the KC-46 that has no direct applicability to the tanker/cargo missions - you can draw your own conclusions as to why it's there.
I noticed something similar when, shortly before I retired, I was briefed on the planned changes to the 747-8 for the Air Force One. Lots of stuff that didn't seem to fit the mission of carrying the president.
Made me wonder if someone had other missions in mind for a 747-8 and wanted to get a head start on the needed engineering...