PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hey EVERYONE
Thread: Hey EVERYONE
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2003, 17:25
Northern Highflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jay

From my experience, and from reading the posts of others on this site over many months, I think that if you are totally committed, devoted, determined and obsessed with becoming a pilot, it still is not enough.....really.

You have to have it in your blood, you have to sleep, eat and drink flying and probably be slightly insane. Why else would I and many others be willing to sink ourselves into so much debt and put ourselves through such a tough regime of study, training, tests, exams, followed by even more tests and exams, just to get a job flying an aeroplane. Bear in mind that this will mean very early starts or very late finishes most days, including many weekends.

I have a steady monday to friday 9-5 job with every weekend off and for not bad pay, yet that is not enough for me. I am willing to do all the above and work those funny hours, and lose my cosy weekends off, all because flying is everything to me. It gives me a buzz like nothing else.

As the early posts said, if you need persuading, then maybe it isn't for you. If it isn't in your blood, then at some point you will get bored and walk away, probably having spent a lot of money. My advice is to search yourself and ask if it is what you really really want to do, or is it because you think it is glamorous and well paid. If the answer you come up with is the former then go for it. If it is the latter then I would look for another career.

Regards
NHF