PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pen Air Saab Overrun Unilaska with Injuries
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 16:27
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct. But, as pointed out above, if the blade is going to hit the fuselage it will do so almost instantaneously, so the time during which those aerodynamic forces can alter its trajectory is very short indeed.
It's all relative. In order to hit the fuselage above the window line a clockwise spinning prop has to come from the outboard side of the nacele and up and over the wing (not sure which way the subject event went) Take the center of mass velocity vector and degrade it against drag and then add in the axial drag against the direction of the fuselage flight and you get a curvilinear result. As others have said the blade is also tumbling about it's center so if it is a long slender shape two impact points may be realized. followed by gash intersections between them.

I used to compute this kind of stuff and then to document the results in a Photo sketch by overlaying wet spaghetti strands (along the trajectories) on my many aircraft models that I kept in my office.

In the 90's we reviewed all the documented instances of prop sheds in an effort to update the containment regulations. After consideration it was decided the the tried and true method of designing the aircraft flight controls to best possible redundancy and separation (keel beam to crown) was the only practical way forward. (of course we always kept the pilot out of harms way)