PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 21st Oct 2019, 20:41
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Thanks, Peter.....
Gotta review all the control law names, as I am more familiar with pitch gee/rate, roll rate and such.
Also have to reopen the Tech Logs for "technical" stuff.
One point before retiring back to the cave is:
There is a misconception about FBW control laws and actual aerodynamic characteristics of the plane. The ';bus seems to be very stable or we would not have had 447. In short, all the electrons did was replace a lotta cables, ropes and pulleys. In doing so, it was a no-brainer to implement gee, roll and other "protections". and more. My relic Viper did the same thing because the aerodynamics had neutral or negative static stabilty below 0.95 M. Big deal, but gave us super pitch rates and other things that our flight control laws kept us under control.

To this day I fail to undertand a requirement to provide stick/wheel/yoke feedback that we old farts endured in the 50's and before. OTOH, the Max apparently had a nasty tendency to exhibit a "light stick" when several degrees AoA below the stick shaker. A Max pilot could comment here, but they are scarce these days.

Gums sends....