PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HeliOps 2020 Calendar Giveaway - Updated
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2019, 13:54
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most memorable one so far was my first flight as PIC in barely legal weather conditions. It was quite literally a state of maintaining "clear of clouds" and a 1/2 mile visibility. Class G in those parts was 700AGL and down, and the clouds were at 700AGL, give or take, also. Dodging around hills and dales, and cell towers. Finally hit a wall of bad rain, bad vis and clouds down to the deck. Did a 180 (not in the clouds, they were still ahead) and it was noted that we had just overflown a local eatery that was known friendly to helicopters. Flew in out of the mist, landed, and walked past the quite amazed folks who were buying at the outdoor take-away window. Went in, had a cup of coffee, and 45 minutes later decided to try again. Made good headway again dodging around some hills, and finally broke out into some much nicer weather, which was good because at that point the Sun was starting to dip towards the horizon, and that would have been a Bad Thing. My first grand adventure with weather that only helicopters are legal to fly VFR in (in the US). I had plenty of experience with difficult weather flying VFR fixed wing, but of course it's next level (lower) stuff in a helicopter