PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Byron Bailey, The Australian, MCAS
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2019, 03:58
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Lookleft,
Clearly, I am not afraid to NOT go along with the majority opinion

If your statement above is the case, every civil jet aircraft Boeing has ever built is fatally flawed; Why would I say that ---- because the MCAS system is a stability aid, these in one form or another, have been on every aircraft since the B707. Yaw dampers are another example of a stability aid --- in early days pilots in bulk did not trust yaw dampers --- unless they could disconnect them, like early B707.

As a relevant example, the B707 had a auto mach trim to counter mach tuck, and it was a continuous source of niggles, and, Murphy's law being what it is, a mach trim runaway was almost always nose down.. It was distinguished from a main electric stab runaway by the speed of movement ---- quite slow, like the MCAS. Lightning reflexes, no, but don't muck around, either.

The fact remains, as was demonstrated by Lion Air Bali to Djakarta, an MCAS malfunction in the hands of an adequately trained crew (actioning the un-commanded stab trim checklist --- whatever its current B737 QRH name) does not/should not result in the loss of the aircraft.

By the Sullenberger yardstick, the Vickers VC-10 should never have been certified --- if you know something about its natural aerodynamic characteristics. Likewise probably the MD-11.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Lookleft, please let us know what experience/knowledge. you have on relevant aircraft.
I would guess that if you tried to get any of those aircraft certified today, they wouldn't pass. B is wrong to try to re-certify a 60 year old design instead of starting from scratch. tootle your pip all you want, you could not be more wrong.