PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VeRR- have you experience of it?
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 20:13
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor Plum
LJ,

It would work for me-and stop me leaving. Simple business economics that works across the rest of the world. Why is the RAF different?? Otherwise the RAF would have to pay millions to train an unknown quantity to be simply LCR.

As for lots of flying and decent quality of life...

go on then. Whats in the pipeline?

Typhoon driver- well said.
Simple business economics? Is it? It’s like radar101 describes, some leave without really understanding that economic argument. Getting now into my 3rd decade in the Service, we seem to forget how very few served in the past more than even 16 years in the Service and we seem to be hooked on trying to get everyone to 60. Less than 10% historically serve past age 50 and less than 5% past their 55th birthday. I’ve seen people leave and come back in my time (there are lots rejoining right now and many asking to, that can’t make it work), so we must get something right? Also, we see plenty come from the RN or Army too - I can’t remember the last one to go the other way in the past 15 years.

I honestly think it’s a simple fix when recruiting is so simple:

1. Have a trg system that can deliver against the predicted historical outflow (we don’t have that).
2. Have a great ‘quality of life’ (successive ‘lean events’ and so-called ‘business efficiencies’ have stopped that).
3. Pay a fair wage (we just about have that - it could be better, maybe 10-15% outside of where it should be).
4. Have a system that will provide for you for a late 2nd career or in full retirement (we have that).
5. Have a good resettlement provision (we have that).

Military HR is pretty simple - Recruit, Retain, Resettle - and the ‘Retain’ isn’t all about money to the individual. As easystreet states, there is also spousal employment to consider too, so keeping people geographically stable is important - keep the other half and kids happy, and you will be winning half the fight. But if everything is bad, as Typhoondriver is saying, then paying people more isn’t the answer - p!ssed off people with more money are still p!ssed.