PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 20th Oct 2019, 11:53
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sgs233a
So, I'm not a 737 pilot or engineer, but have followed this thread from the outset. Something that's been nagging at me the last little bit, which I don't think has been answered;

Boeing has described MCAS, and it seems to be the general belief of most of the folks on this board based on available information, as being there to cope with a small portion of the envelope - low speed, high AoA, clean turns, to maintain stick force gradient while increasing AoA. What has been highlighted by the Forkner IM exchange is that this was the NEW low speed regime MCAS was extended to (and where its authority and rate were increased).

What does it do at higher speeds? It's clear from the comments that it was originally intended for use at higher speeds only, but to what end, exactly? Just enhanced STS to massage some stability concerns outside of straight speed stability that STS was originally added to address? Also, earlier information mentioned STS came from the KC-46A - I'm thinking that again, this may have been in higher speed regimes, to address stability concerns....

-Colin
Recent reports seem to indicate some regulators have concerns MCAS maybe a stall prevention system.

Given Boeing's "transparency" to date, those concerns are probably extremely warranted.

From the day of the second crash Boeing have never gained any ground on being credible, honest or transparent - in fact lots of the opposite.