PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX SFO (main thread)
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 09:52
spleener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
I operate A320s for scheduled pax service from KLAS. A lot into DEN, LAX, DTW, ORD and ATL. All of those airports have more aircraft movements than LHR (and, as an ex Eurocontrol trainee: on the radar every aircraft is the same size, so pax count doesn't matter). If you don't see the runway or the preceding traffic: don't accept the visual. If you see the runway and the preceding traffic and don't accept the visual: find a different career. I flew in the EU for 7 years, now in the US for 15, if you can't fly, you can't fly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...raft_movements
Well Hans, I take on board the previous points about accepting visual separation and the wrong heading, and basically I agree. However, I venture that you are a lot more hands-on current by flying your A320 than the majority of long haul line crew. Please consider that many Captains do one takeoff and landing every 35 days and FO less so. I would change your final words to 'if you can't fly much, you can't fly much. I've been operating 4 CX types into SFO for more than 3 decades. As skills have deteriorated, I have consequently briefed to never accept accept the visual separation [you just can't follow, for example an A320 , in a B744 bugged up for 160kts Vapp ] and always brief the expected headings, altitudes, intercept and speeds which rarely vary. Finally, please don't forget you have a responsibility to safely manage ATC as well...