PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max Hastings' Dambusters book
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 09:11
Mr Mac

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts
I have read the book, but I do not think I learned anything further than I already knew and I believe the Sweetman book to be a better book in that respect. Max,s view on Gibson and Harris are largely in line with others who served with them. My late aunt was a driver on 617 Sq and she was also of the do not meet your heroes brigade, with regards to Gibson.

As for Max Hastings other works I have generally enjoyed them all, and his book on shooting and country pursuit's I particularly enjoyed. As an aside, aged 14 I was an exchange student in the village Frondenburg and actually met someone who witnessed the "Mohne Catastrophe" as a little girl. She was my hosts mother. When I asked how high the water came on the house I was staying in, she pointed at the roofline of the 3 story dwelling which was about 15m. I also subsequently swam the width of the Sorpe Dam during that trip. Also fished on Eder and Sorpe catching some good size Pike in both, which put me off swimming the width of each of the dams, which I was planning to do !!
Kind regards
Mr Mac