PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EO Screen Height and LG Retraction
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 19:23
EI-PAUL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airmann
During an Engine Out Take off it is necessary that the aircraft reaches the screen height at the end of the TODA. This is critical in order to meet obstacle clearance.

However, in my sim sessions I often see (and have been guilty myself) people requesting gear up before the aircraft has reached the screen height.

I've been thinking recently that this is a seriously unwise move, due to the added drag, and may result in the aircraft not reaching the screen height in time. In addition I believe performance calculations assume that the gear stays down until screen height.

Does anyone have any more information regarding this?

Hi Airmann.
I don't think that the performance calculation specifies that the gear should be down until reaching the screen height.
The screen height is the "reference zero" from which the first segment starts. The first segment, by definition, ends when the retraction of the landing gear is finished, and this is the only thing specified regarding this matter as I understand it.
If we think pragmatically, I do not believe that if the take-off performance calculation was correctly performed in relation to weight, environmental conditions, length and runway conditions there is a considerable risk NOT to meet obstacle clearence.
This is especially true when we perform a flex take-off, which generally leaves further room for performance.
The priority should be to stabilize the horizontal and vertical trajectory ASAP to avoid gross handling inaccuracies.
My 2 cents