PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple unrelated Non-Normals in simulator training
Old 19th Oct 2019, 16:12
Rostermouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok.

What I meant by my final statement, without the gobbledigook, is that most of us on here seem to recognise that chucking failure after failure at pilots to either a) prove a point about how clever the instructor is, or b) tick umpteen boxes at the same time to save sim time (money) is a load of crap, and not good training.

Those people who have experienced this in the sim recently are experiencing something contrary to the current ICAO/EASA guidelines on training best practice; unfortunate but unless you are unlucky the overall quality of training should be better now than it was 30 years ago. I’m not making excuses for some of crap trainers described in this thread.

My main point was that some details can be planned that are busy, even hectic, such that prioritising is necessary (cargo smoke, but flap jam on finals, for instance); but not out of the blue, and not as a prof check but as a non-jeopardy training exercise - just because an event has unrelated failures does not automatically mean it is worthless training. More relevant is how the training is delivered. And unfortunately for the dinosaurs out there this is a lot harder to do than just reading off a ****-list of stuff the crew did wrong.