PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Superhighspeed Internet
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 14:06
BirdmanBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
All around my area they are digging up the pavements and laying purple optical cable for our new superdupa internet. Om some streets where the house is adjacent to the road they are putting in little spur with a square metal cap like a stopcock. I live in an old house converted into flats so the cable just runs past with no spurs. A few questions for those that know.

Should you want to be connected to this facility who pays for the connection to your property and how much is a typical bill?

How does it work? Do they connect it to your telephone line so that it goes through your existing modem position or is it a separate circuit with a different connection in the house.

What speeds will they provide? At the moment I am on about 36 m/s which seems to cover most things. However if this system gets going I can see it replacing wired broadband in the same way as broadband replaced dial-up.

We are all standing around scratching our heads so some knowledgeable input would be welcome.
Depends on where you are and which provider is laying the fibre.

Around the UK there are multiple companies all installing fibre to the premise (FTTP) but at their own spec. Gigaclear are hitting Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Oxfordshire and more and offer upto 1000Mbps to the premise. BT meanwhile can only get upto 350Mbps with their FTTP offering as it's how they operate multiple connections down one strand of fibre optic cable. Add to the mis there is CityFibre, Hyperoptic and KC who are all laying FTTP.

Each network is separate also so soon there will be an issue whereby not one company manages the UK wide network, unlike BT Group currently. This could be a good thing or could be bad, however I expect to see some acquisitions very soon between these companies.

Oh and Gigaclear, for example, did very well out of public money grants...