PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about Sea King ASW
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 11:36
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AndySmith
Many thanks to all of you who have replied

I think this is why we have struggled to accurately define this term. I have two ex RN ASW pilots who served in the conflict, to whom I am very grateful, who help me with terminology and technical descriptions for the translation. They gave me slightly contradictory explanations (which is why we asked for a third opinion here). Their opinion is mirrored here. I guess it's a term that is quite fluid in meaning.

Therefore, I take it that there can be between 3 and 5 cabs in the air with 2 or 3 of those on station and the remainder on transit to or from the operational area? In order to support the larger version, I understand there would be about 8 cabs and many crew involved. Sound absolutely ball-breakingly tiring for those involved both in the air and on mother.

I endeavour to make the translation as easy as possible for a layman to understand, while at the same time not too inaccurate so that those of you have better knowledge of operations than me (which is probably most of you) don't get too grumpy by an inaccurate description or definition.... sometimes this can be a little challenging.

BZ

Andy
AndySmith

Ripple 3 was for three Sea Kings to be tasked continually throughout the period of the exercise; the 'Ripple' was the changeover of cabs when one or another came out of the Flypro for servicing. Never more than three turning and burning at any one time.

With the four hour sorties we would be briefing one hour before launch, airborne four hours, debrief, maybe a trip to the Greasy Spoon and off to our rack for 4-5 hours, rinse and repeat for as many days/weeks were needed. Hot refuels and crew changes, sometimes shut down for SOAP (oil samples), day and night all weather. 195 sonar usually in active mode during the 1970s, no ASW involvement of any transiting aircraft apart from a visual lookout.

824NAS developed a fog approach for Ark (R09) which had us as the only flying ops for a week once when everything else was grounded with vis <100 yards: I lucked out with the first one 'for real' and learned a few wrinkles, not the least being that you couldn't see the rounddown until very close and a light was needed. The ships steaming light didn't work and couldn't be fixed so the solution was to park a flight deck tractor with the headlamps on, facing aft! Also the splash target was streamed at a quarter of a mile plus the quarterdeck sentry put out flame floats to mark the ships wake.

Crew composition for 824/Ark Royal was ~1.5 crews per aircraft, IIRC, with seven Sea Kings. Not sure what the Op Corporate manning was, but I believe single pilot ops were authorised: someone else can confirm or correct that.