PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 11:29
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Treading Carefully

I am deliberately staying well out of some elements of the discussion in this thread.

I would like to clear up a couple of things here though.

I believe some posters are blurring the lines between PFLs and PEFATOs.

Before I continue, some caveats:

I haven’t flown the T1 since 2011.

I am not and never have been a member of RAFAT so can’t speak for their SOPs and I doubt very much that any of their number are about to chime in.

I wasn’t at or near Valley at the time of the accident.

I have not chatted with the pilot since so I have no more idea than anyone else on here about the circumstances.

Circling PFLs consist of a high key at 4500’, crossing the upwind end of the runway (the exact point depends on the runway length) at 90 degrees whereupon the gear is usually selected down.

Low key is abeam the landing threshold at 2500’ on a reciprocal heading.

Down flap is selected on finals when landing is assured.

There are minimum speeds specified for every configuration but, since they would be slightly different to my current mark of Hawk, I won’t put my neck on the line here.

Pilots are trained to intercept the pattern at any point and to make a decision (the contract) no later than 500’. As mentioned by another poster, Radar PFLs are also flown to arrive at the threshold at various heights (1200, 800 and 500 for RAFAT) but with usually 300 knots. SOPs then allow the final turn to be intercepted with gear and flap deployed at suitable times.

This system has worked very well for at least as long as I first started flying the Hawk (2002).

PEFATOs on the T1 were usually to an alternate runway and ‘turn backs’ were not flown on the T1 during my time. Of course this has a distinct Valley slant to it.

‘Reciprocal PEFATOs’ are practised on the T2 with a minimum of 300 knots to initiate them.

I do not know what additional profiles are practised on RAFAT.

For interest the T2 is able to fly straight in PFLs in any weather due to its improved avionics. An MDH is used in case of IMC.

As for mandating gate heights I am actually against it.

As an example, an RCAF Hawk (with a foreign pilot) had a genuine engine emergency a few years ago and reached high key with several thousand feet to spare. Since the teaching there was to stick to gate heights he elected to orbit to lose height. You can guess what’s coming. He ejected just short of the runway despite having had height to spare in the first instance.

Constant sight line angle and a solid understanding of the ‘contract’ is a well established technique and is safe.

BV

Last edited by Bob Viking; 19th Oct 2019 at 14:03.