PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Red Poppy
Thread: The Red Poppy
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 09:19
Prangster

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by falcon900
Going back to the question posed at the start of the thread, I too would be of a fairly liberal disposition regarding broadening the scope of those remembered by the wearing of the poppy. What I would be less liberal about however would be any attempt to broaden the claims on the funds raised by the poppy appeal. There is little enough to go around military charities as things stand, and any dilution would be unwelcome.
On a warming June morning in 2016 I stood below Polygon wood with a battlefield guide who casually mentioned that between the main road which I think was the A17 and the treeline on a 2 thousand yard front there were an estimated 7000 bodies still lying in the soil. I bent and picked a poppy truly enriched by the blood of man. I keep that June morning in mind every time someone denigrates the vast sacrifices made. Wear it with pride and remember what we are honoring individual courage and sacrifice not political stupidity I fully concur that funds should support the service charities only