PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 19th Oct 2019, 08:38
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda
I am not sure this exchange is as damaging for Boeing as some are making out.
I say this because I suspect it may be explained away as a sim fault.
He said he was levelling at 4000 and 230 kts which is nowhere near the AOA that would activate MCAS.
So either A) the exercise didn’t involve MCAS and there was a simple sim fault ( no big deal for Boeing)
or
B) the exercise involved simulating an aircraft fault and MCAS came into play ( big deal for Boeing to have this exchange take place).
That’s how I read it.

Two guys have rampant MCAS operations - when it should not operate!

Not a big deal?

That alone should have rang massive alarm bells - they were not having an arvo out in a toy, they were testing and evaluating a aircraft (to be sure it was safe).

We know the simulators were faulty (now) as they do not correctly simulate the manual trim wheel forces required.

Testing seems to be the "Tick n Flick" option and if you do not get the result in the sim, the sim is to blame or get an exclusion.

Why was the "Shocker Alert" - MCAS now active down to M.2 said.

I read that as is it - is not a good thing, regardless of if there were a simulator fault or not.

The comments about the regulator indicate we are missing some important details in that text exchange -
Gustavsson, Patrik H 6:51 PM:
it wasnt a lie, no one told us that was the case

Was a strange reply to -
Mark Forkner 6:51 PM:
so I basically lied to the regulators (unknowingly)