PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 07:44
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
I don't recall having been taught turnbacks on the JP (1974) at RAFC or on the Gnat or Hunter. Neither do I recall having been taught turnbacks on the Hawk during my 4FTS refresher, but they were practised by staff pilots at Chivenor, although I don't think that they were included in student training.

Radar PFL to pick up the visual PFL pattern was quite common at Chivenor - even solo. Whereas on the Hunter, the 1-in-1 was preferable. Not on the Gnat though, due to the vagaries of the time it might take for the undercarriage to lock down. Horses for courses!

We taught turnbacks on the Bulldog, but with strict height gates and initial IAS / AoB requirements. But the aim was to land on the aerodrome, rather than necessarily on the RW. One of those exercises in which the QFI must take control instantly if the student starts to overcook it, or fails to keep the IAS / AoB until the turn has been completed.

However, due to the nature of their operations, RAFAT pilots are perhaps more likely to have a birdstrike close enough to the aerodrome to be able to fly some form of forced landing pattern from downwind. Other Hawk operators might suffer birdstrikes at low level and high IAS away from the aerodrome, but the main risk is probably from a shattered canopy and bird remains entering the cockpit - ask Sharpend AFC! So, horses for courses again, I can see the sense of RAFAT practising PEFATOs, although only down to a point from which a go-around will be flown - perhaps 200ft a.a.l.?. The wisdom of such practice with a non-pilot in the other seat or immediately after a simulator ride I leave to others to debate.

Last edited by BEagle; 19th Oct 2019 at 07:59.