PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about Sea King ASW
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 07:15
AndySmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Eacott
As Engines has described, Ripple 3 was the number of aircraft allocated on the Flypro. There could be all three on task, screening, or just two dipping with one transiting for refuel and crew change: normal time allocated per sortie was 4 hours.
Many thanks to all of you who have replied

I think this is why we have struggled to accurately define this term. I have two ex RN ASW pilots who served in the conflict, to whom I am very grateful, who help me with terminology and technical descriptions for the translation. They gave me slightly contradictory explanations (which is why we asked for a third opinion here). Their opinion is mirrored here. I guess it's a term that is quite fluid in meaning.

Therefore, I take it that there can be between 3 and 5 cabs in the air with 2 or 3 of those on station and the remainder on transit to or from the operational area? In order to support the larger version, I understand there would be about 8 cabs and many crew involved. Sound absolutely ball-breakingly tiring for those involved both in the air and on mother.

I endeavour to make the translation as easy as possible for a layman to understand, while at the same time not too inaccurate so that those of you have better knowledge of operations than me (which is probably most of you) don't get too grumpy by an inaccurate description or definition.... sometimes this can be a little challenging.

BZ

Andy