PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rear seat only ejection, aircraft landed.
Old 18th Oct 2019, 21:07
kit344

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LOMCEVAK
The Red Arrows incident was a Hawk heading northerly up the Great Glen. It was a wire strike at the southern end of Loch Ness and I think the aircraft may have diverted into Inverness. The pilot was a friend and later a squadron colleague of mine.

The Buccaneer at Lossie was a Laarbruch aircraft operating against Garvie Island. It was a high speed (500+ kts) birdstrike which shattered the canopy. The nav thought that the pilot had been incapacitated as his head appeared lowered, there was too much noise for voice comms and the aircraft started to descend so he ejected. I watched it land at Lossiemouth! Also, the same pilot had another interesting incident when he was on the OCU at Honington. At the start of the take-off roll the aircraft did a very sharp turn (nosewheel steering problem) and departed off the edge of the runway with full power pointing towards the HASs so the nav ejected. One pilot, two navs jumped out; now that must be a record!
Thanks very much, that fits with my memory of the incident.

Please could you try to point me towards the accident report, the aircraft registration, or the date ?

I searched fairly thoroughly before I posted this thread a few days ago.