PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2019, 15:16
sharpend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This has been a very thorough and comprehensive report. As always the MOD has covered all aspects, though I suspect, given the high profile of the unit that suffered the accident, it was possibly more comprehensive that maybe some others. The bottom line for the summery is basically that the pilot made a significant error during a practice EFATO which led to a stall too close to the ground to recover. Ejection was then the only solution and that was initiated rather late. Very sadly, a valuable engineer lost his life. The report mentions lack of continuity training and possible over work and tiredness. But of course it still mentions that the pilot was more than capable of carrying out this manoeuvre. During my 1000+ hours on the Hawk, I did many PEFATOS. I still do so with my Bulldog, including turnbacks. When I misjudge them (as one does) I throw them away good and early. I just wonder if in this case the fact that the pilot was subconsciously thinking that he 'Was a Red Arrow' and thus did not want to fail. There are no old bold pilots. Were there here any similarities with the Shoreham crash? Just a thought.