PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who made the decision on the ASIC?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2019, 09:43
lucille

Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts
Only for non commercial operations, it appears by implication that an AVID will suffice. On the CASA website, which directs you to an ASIC application, there is mention of settling for an AVID if one does not require frequent access to a security controlled airport. By implication, an AVID should be good intermittent access to a security controlled airport.

I have recently resumed flying in Oz after a 30 year hiatus, I only have an AVID but have not tested it at a point of entry airport yet. It will be interesting to see if the jobsworthies with fat belts and room temperature IQs will draw their taser on me.

30 years living and flying all over the world and I have only ever encountered the obsessive security as we have here in China. The USA by contrast is relatively relaxed for crew, for pax - not so much. You have to laugh when somewhere like Thargomindah is listed as a security controlled airport thus requiring an ASIC. There are some seriously intellectually challenged people in positions of power when it comes to “security”.

The Youtube video depicting a CASA employee discussing the introduction of the ASIC is pure comedic gold. Well worth a look.