PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could Aviation be part of the climate change solution?
Old 18th Oct 2019, 05:39
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian W
Well it is actually 97% of 79 responses to a survey that claimed climate science expertise out of 3,146 scientists that responded to a survey.

The "97 percent" figure in the Zimmerman/Doran survey represents the views of only 79 respondents who listed climate science as an area of expertise and said they published more than half of their recent peer-reviewed papers on climate change. Seventy-nine scientists—of the 3,146 who responded to the survey—does not a consensus make.

There is a lot more in that link on similar claims. The entire field of climate 'science' is riddled with wild claims that have no support in reality but make extremely good press releases.
Seems like click bait to me with subscription required to access it. Not saying it isn't authoritative or peer reviewed but just cant tell behind a paywall.

Edit. Had to wiki Zimmerman/ Doran to get any information and you will see quite a lot that discounts your propersition Ian. Essentially you have selected supportive quotes and there are plenty within the wiki article regarding the many surveys on this topic that have been conducted, that provide an alternative and supportive view by researchers who have researched over 11000 peer reviewed papers related to climate change. An interesting comment is that unlike the researchers comprehensive works, offhand criticisms of this research designed to nullify this overwhelming consensus has not been peer reviewed. So do we accept it ahead of peer reviewed work?. Why would anyone do that? On this forum we are quick to waive off non pilot comments especially when they criticise pilot actions. I would like to see references to peer reviewed criticisms of this subject...if we can find them in abundance...in which case I would certainly be prepared to have another view. Although, if they existed, I doubt this thread would! 😊

Last edited by Lord Farringdon; 18th Oct 2019 at 09:04.