PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upper Torso Restaints in GA Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2019, 23:26
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish:
5. Then there is the problem of "risk shifting" which is code for people doing dumb things in Cirrus aircraft because they thought the parachute would save them.
Fun fact: 100% of Cirrus pilots who pulled the parachute during an emergency survived to fly again. Just ask any of them how much they valued their parachute in that very moment and I think you'll find a figure somewhat off of what actuaries and other mathematicians came up with.

As for actuaries, yes you're right: their work is to value, price and hedge human lives and scores of other things. You're welcome to include a digression to that effect in your next passenger brief, if you see fit. I personally still find it easier to explain to my passengers that wearing the shoulder strap is a mandatory precaution in my aircraft because knocking their head on the yoke would obviously leave an unwelcome bloodstain on the latter and a punch a hole in the former.

If my memory serves me right, wasn't it you (Sunfish), who, not so long ago, were decrying how bordering suicidal flying coastal from Melbourne to Brisbane for the average GA pilot was? Drawing on those comments, I would have expected your aircraft had at least two parachutes, airbags, a spare prop and rudder, life jackets and 3 ELTs.

Last edited by Okihara; 17th Oct 2019 at 23:59.