PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo Fire Department helicopter drops a 70-year-old woman during winch rescue.
Old 17th Oct 2019, 19:40
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aerial rescue should be a last or only possible resort. Because it is so quick and someone can be flown directly to first aid or trauma care it seems to make sense that everyone deserves a helicopter ride. It is a thing of beauty when all goes well. I have been around aerial rescue programs since 2010 and in that ime I can recall 6 or 7 fatalities in Australia, the US, the Middle East, Japan and I'm sure I didn't hear about all of them. I'm always pleased when I hear that a hoist equipped helicopter showed up and the crew decided that a ground rescue was appropriate and parked nearby while some folks humped out with the victim.
Perhaps an engineer smarter than I am could invent a hoist harness that is easy to put on an injured or unconscious person, stowable ( unlike a litter) that would not take more than a couple of pounds of load without coming detatched from the hook unless it was properly secured. It ain't rocket surgery to tripple check your work. Guess that just didn't happen here.