PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-3
Thread: Stansted-3
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2019, 15:22
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Airlines to STN

Really pleased to see STN/MAG continuing to expand the route network portfolio whilst restoring the airline mix near to that of 2006/07 levels, with Air India coming to the airport at the end of the month. Hopefully this is the start of great things to come. With that in mind, what other new airlines do people think STN has a chance to appeal to? In my view, I would love to see:
  • KLM Cityhopper: Although EZY currently serves the STN-AMS route, I do think there is a gap in the market for KLM to step into, especially given the vast long haul connections available through AMS. It could be a tough nut to crack, but I do honestly believe that this could be a big hit for many fliers from STN, especially given MAG's recent fundings that there is a rising demand for long haul in STN's catchment.
  • Lufthansa: Similar to the KL example, would be in direct completion with FR on the STN-FRA route, but would open up a huge array of long haul connections.
  • American Airlines: I'm aware that AA has tried and failed with STN several times, but I do know that the flights previously offered by Primera were incredibly popular. Moreover, STN is in a very different position to the one that it was in 11 years ago under BAA ownership when AA pulled out, and with LHR now maxed out, do you think AA (or any other legacy American carrier) would be willing to give STN another chance? Perhaps with the right equipment (e.g. A321 Neo), they might be able to crack it on a daily service (e.g. STN-JFK)
  • Hong Kong Airlines: I remember HX mentioning that London would be a prime candidate for their new A359. Again, given the rarity of slots at LHR, and with CX at both LHR and LGW, do you think HX might be tempted with STN? HKG has also be quoted as being one of the most sorted destinations within the STN catchment area. That being said, the recent protest situation in HKG might deter HX from entering the London market for a while until the situation improves.
  • Air Asia X: No stranger to STN. Might it be possible for MAG to lure D7 back to Stansted, perhaps this time with their A330 Neo?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this as STN continues to develop.