PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Byron Bailey, The Australian, MCAS
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2019, 11:50
MickG0105

Received 198 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Looks like you have made Lookleft's day.
I'm not out to make anyone's day, I'm simply keen on ensuring any discussion that I'm involved in stays facts-based.

I thought what I had made clear was references in the body of articles to occurrences that, in retrospect, could have been MCAS activations. I assume that those have now been determined to not be MCAS related. What AW&ST has now stated in not really in conflict with what I have said.
Well, it is now quite difficult to know exactly what you made clear or what you said as it appears that some of your relevant posts have strangely now been deleted.

But you did say;
The reports in AW&ST (in the bodies of technical articles, not headline news) were in the context of occurrences that were logged for maintenance to look at, but were only realised to be MCAS related in retrospect.
The reporting of the two incidents that I referred to were very promptly shown at the time they were reported (not now) to be unrelated to MCAS - so, you're mistaken there.

And you also previously wrote;
Megan,
Whilst I don'r have the quotes to hand, several articles in Aviation Week and Space Technology, which have been exhaustively covering the issue, have mentioned same. They never received any publicity at the time, because the crews involved just ran the uncommended stab trim checklist ...

The crews involved did not run the Runaway Stabilizer checklist, neither incident required an NNC, so you were most assuredly also mistaken on that count.

One poster says that the MCAS runs the stab at twice the rate of the main electric activation ----- or the autopilot rate ----- is this really correct.
Regarding MCAS trimming speed, Boeing gave it maximum authority so, even though it operates only flaps retracted, it trims at the maximum flaps extended trimming rate of 0.27 degrees per second (about 50% faster than the Main Electric Trim speed for flaps retraced) and it can run the trim all the way to the flaps extended Main Electric Trim limit of 0.05 units.

Last edited by MickG0105; 17th Oct 2019 at 11:56. Reason: Typo