PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA urges ICAO to address erosion of 'manual' piloting skills
Old 17th Oct 2019, 00:47
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BARKINGMAD
Well that stopped the conversation?!
C’mon skygods of Europe, why don’t you ‘fess up that few if any have handflown the ‘frame at max cruise AUW at optimum/max altitude?
And can someone please confirm that either company procedures or the equivalent of the original ANO prohibit such extreme activity?
All I can recall from too many years ago was that “the book” said “thou shalt have an APFDS capable of.... in RVSM Airspace...” which I suspect gave rise to the old wives’ tale that “thou shalt not handfly in RVSM...”.
I’d be very happy to be corrected, quoting chapter&verse as to the correct practice as per EASA or CAA or any other ‘reputable’ authority.
Until then my assertion stands re today’s crews not being capable or in current practice for what should be a normal handling task, performed IAW the privileges of your Instrument Rating!
Well, American skygod now, but did JAA from 00-05. The reason I don't handfly in cruise: boring. Got a base turn at 5000' doing 250 at 10NM from Boston after a red-eye and went AP off to get full speedbrake, that for sure got the FO's attention.