PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Pilot
Thread: RAAF Pilot
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2019, 23:14
Scotty0604

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anddontcallmeshirley
Hi all, hope this is the area where I ask this as I'm new here. My son is 17 doing year 12 and want's to be pilot in RAAF. He had completed his You session, then today went for the further testing and came undone on the mental arithmetic with questions like, 13,852 x 1/8 = . He was informed that he could reapply in 12 months. My question is, does the RAAF look at people applying for the second time seriously or are they really just interested in people making it through the first time? TIA.
Hey,

I did my additional testing and assessment day last year and the most important thing to focus on, in my personal opinion are the options that you’re given. You aren’t made to calculate the exact answer, only estimate. For example, for the question that you posted, the options given may have been:

A. 17000
B. 1700
C. 170
D. 17

Whereby you would select the closest approximation, it’s hard when you have precise number but when you start rounding, you can get it in seconds so realistically you’re only calculating 14000/8.

This is only an example, it’s not on the real test, some questions we’ll be more precise. Hope this helps