PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our kids — future Career
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2019, 11:27
cattletruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest enabler of our modern times is computing and telecommunications on a massive scale, even quantum computing is around the corner to take it to the next level. Underneath all this impressive information technology is the same old mundane, even ancient, things being constantly refined and done on a scale never seen before.

This has many parallels with aviation, as mentioned previously there has only been nothing but refinement for the last 50 years as the physical barriers for conventional flying have been reached (and restrained by political barriers e.g. flying over mach 1 over cities).

Not surprisingly the latest developments with conventional flying have been with computing and telecommunications (all the real action is now with space flying). Today, ATC can fly your plane, extrapolate this into the future and single pilot airliners will probably be the norm on well monitored routes. And one can imagine the role of that sole pilot would be to just monitor that all is well. Computers would have calculated the risk of single pilot ops with industry and government endorsing it.

Now there are people who may find that kind of thing exciting, it may even well be. Who hasn't enjoyed a morning flight when the air was still and crisp and the aircraft cut through the air like a hot knife in butter, then stood in cruise as stable as a block of flats. This could be the norm in future more capable aircraft regardless of the weather. The value in this future job my be looking out your office window (hard to believe with the current generation burying their heads in their phones) which for most of us is still a major motivator.

I would encourage your daughter to follow her passions because someone who is passionate about their job is often beneficial to themselves and those around them including the company they work for. I personally don't believe flying with SLF will ever become autonomous, I do believe there will be much more flying than there is now, and I believe pilot wages will not be any better than an entry level IT engineer.