PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2019, 09:33
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LincsFM

Cpl Bayliss should not have been in the back as the pilot intended to do a practice engine failure esp with no command eject available. He did not have the training or knowledge when confronted with this situation.
Based on my experience with inquest and Fatal Accident Inquiries, I believe that this is a conclusion that could be reached by the coroner, whose main task it is to determine the cause of death not the accident.

I note that one contributing factor that is common to this accident, the one involving XX179 (Aug 2011) and the one involving XX233/XX253 (March 2010) is an inadequate risk register. The SI refers to 'Bow Tie' analysis, this does not replace the risk register. As someone who is familiar with this 'tool' I can say that if the newly developed Bow Tie for the Red Arrows is similar to that developed for Tornado MAC then it is of little use.

Despite all this the ODH was happy to sign off to say that risks associated with the operation of RAFAT Mk1 Hawk aircraft were Tolerable and ALARP. This is the statement that he should be called on to justify at the inquest.

DV