PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check-in first, land second!
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2003, 02:57
Data Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will stick my oar in and give you an Aberdeen ATCO's opinion....

Personally, my own preference is to get the J32's and J41's in first - putting a larger vortex category aircraft ahead of you (most times) only makes my task harder as I then need to increase seperation! HOWEVER....

...What might seem like a quiet frequency to you may be very misleading - it may be that you are at the end of a sequence of many more aircraft BUT you (being at the end ) are not transferred to the Director frequency but vectored in by the Initial Controller.

.... With regards to the comment about Embraer and "same speed", well sorry - thats NOT what I see on both observed groundspeed and our radar groundspeed readout! Left alone (ie: no ATC Speed rrestriction) most Embraers (BACX probably dont do it so often - maybe they are better at "obeying the 250kts below FL100 rule ) are doing 400kts+ downwind and still doing 300+ on base.

.... If 34 is in use, the straight-in approaches can be a REAL PAIN! - not helped by the "hump" that some EZE pilots take at being doglegged a bit so they can be fitted in - the alternative is to let you run to the ATF at FL90 and vector you from there!

....as an ATCO I do EVRYTHING possible to get you in as quick as I possibly can - to do anything else means I have to "control" you longer - the sooner you are gone from my "sector" the better! I have lost count of the number of times I have offered an EZE an out of wind runway for landing or take-off to save a) a bit of time and b) a few track miles - I KNOW that I can rely on them in these situations to us the opportunity ASAP and not dither around on the runway.

...Don't schedule ALL your flights to arrive and depart at the same time!

.... I KNOW that some Jetstream pilots layover during the day at Aberdeen - do we ever see any of you in the ops room? - NO! Why not give us a call and come over - we can provide a coffee or 2 and talk about these things and you can see exactly what we have to deal with... (pm me if you want more info)

DD