PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N registration aircraft permanently in Canada?
Old 16th Oct 2019, 04:19
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
N registration aircraft permanently in Canada?

Any experts out there?

My gliding club is looking for a new towplane and we have concluded that a Pawnee is the logical choice, but we have looked at some other aircraft.

I am having a (so far) polite disagreement with another club member about whether you can operate US registered aircraft permanently in Canada. He is intrigued by a Rallye for sale in New England. There are no Rallyes registered in Canada, so he has suggested we keep it on the FAA registry. Apart from the obvious difficulties associated with a maintaining and operating a foreign-registered orphan aircraft in Canada, I have told him that you cannot permanently base a foreign-registered private aircraft in Canada.

My reading of the CARs seems to confirm that you cannot do this. As a practical matter, if this was allowed, the country would be littered with N numbers, from sea to shining sea!

Here is the relevant CAR:
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....html#s-604.03

My friend says that he has been told by someone in TC that you can do this. Can someone give me some feedback?