PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our kids — future Career
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2019, 03:47
Retired DC9 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a ten year old daughter who wants to fly and displays rare focus on our home made SIM.
See how she feels about it later, say at 18, but I say go for it ! You just never know what will happen that far in the future. Many times, during my career, I was just using my flying as a way to have adventures, whether it was flying on floats in Northern Canada, or in a Cessna 402, landing on dirt strips in the Masai Mara. You just never know where you will end up.

In the start of my flying career, I was finishing a degree, (boring) but discovered flying through a PPL course. My instructor, said the Airlines would never be hiring (in the near future) and he quit soon after I soloed in a C-150.
I realized that flying interested me a lot more than my academic studies. A year or so later, I joined a family friend on a ferry of a piston single, from Calgary to London Ontario. We had to shoot an ILS approach in scuddy weather, at night and I was hooked, and decided to get my Com/IFR ticket.
But I was willing to start my flying on floats, which I did for a season..low pay but a fun way to build hours. Next lucky step, a job offer to fly from the Coast, into the Game Parks in Kenya. Fascinating flying , and a great opportunity to build up hours. Also some DC-3 flying out of Nairobi Wilson.
Then a tier one Airline, back in North America, invited me in for an Interview when I was 28. . I ended up flying with this Airline for 32 years, and retired with a very good DB pension.

I never thought, or even planned that I would be able to follow this career path. But I took advantage of opportunities that arose, and was very lucky too.

First flying job. J3, no electrics. No radio .swing the prop

Last edited by Retired DC9 driver; 16th Oct 2019 at 04:02.