PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Byron Bailey, The Australian, MCAS
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2019, 10:59
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cessnapete
The speed at which the crew were unable to retire the aircraft in the ET accident.?
Probably didn't help that the crew in the ET accident missed the basic action of reducing from TOGA power after takeoff.
Take off power remained set the whole of the short flight until hitting the ground. Basic Airmanship missing in their training somewhere.
No doubt TOGA sealed their fate. And yes, I'm sure in time we'll identify a number of failures by the crew.

What drove me to post however is a fundamental disagreement with LS' position. He seems almost proud of the fatal handling characteristics of past aircraft, and dismisses potential pitfalls in the Max as nothing more than triviality for a 'skillful' crew. It reads almost like a pissing competition.

Originally Posted by LS
"Back in the day", we coped."
That entire attitude belongs in the sea in my books. As I said originally, Boeing has a responsibility to build an aircraft that is safe to operate for all crew, not just the pprune test pilot network. We're not all rockstars, I know i'm not. And while I would hope that given the situation these 2 crews faced, that I could safely resolve it, I'm reticent to sit here and monday morning quarterback them to the point where I dismiss the role Boeings design failures played and instead heap all blame on the crew, labeling them nothing but incompetent.