PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 15th Oct 2019, 10:39
Maninthebar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grebe
And NO mention of YO -YO which may work at 5k to 10K AGL, but a loser at any altitude less.
I believe this draws attention to a related, serious issue, unique to the MAX.

MCAS is designed to increase stick force at parts of the flight envelope where, by implication, aerodynamic forces no longer present to the flight crew as they do in 'normal' flight. Moreover, during the design and development phase Boeing engineers found that this effect was far more marked than the original implementation of MCAS was able to counter.

This raises the questions of
1. How big is this corner of the envelope on this airframe with these engines
2. How much more hazardous is this corner of the envelope pn the MAX than on, say, the NG
3. What information and training (if any) should be provided to flight crew to avoid getting into this position
4. What actions or training, if any, in addition to existing checklists and/or procedures are necessary to recover to normal flight in the event of MCAS failing OFF

And the reason I say it is related to the above question is because I suppose that the yoyo method of unloading aero loads presupposes that MCAS is turned off AND that the plane will deliberately be flown into what I take to be the conditions for which MCAS is designed to be a risk control.