PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2019, 16:04
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Q 1. Would a non-aircrew occupant of an ejection seat, whether authorised as 'passenger' or 'supernumerary crew' ever have enough training or experience to be able to identify a developing hazard, sufficient to justify self-ejection, given that the developing hazard had not yet been articulated by the aircraft captain ?

Possibly a Hawk experienced pax with some civvy flying experience might have put a hand onto the seat pan handle once full flap was selected and the AOB was approaching 70deg with the a/c overshooting the rwy centre line and with the ROD increasing - when I was young and switched on I would like to think I might have.However if the backseater did 'bang out' uncommanded - would they then take at least part of the blame for the ensuing crash ?

Q 2. If this aircraft had been fitted with command ejection under the control of the aircraft captain, would it have made any difference to the actual outcome of this specific crash ?

Possibly but in this case it would have been a very close call due to the ultra late/low ejection decision.

LFH
minimum text to allow posting.