PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPL(A) To FAA Conversion - Validity?
Old 14th Oct 2019, 09:51
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
61.75 is straightforward: paperwork, visit to a FSDO, then it's valid for PPL privileges for as long as your home licence and medical, and your FAA (biennial-ish) Flight Review are current.

If you have an EASA professional licence and are working so presumably have some reasonable flying experience, then I can't see any reason to go for a standalone FAA PPL - you may as well go for a standalone FAA CPL. Both are one written, one oral, instruction as required, and a single checkride. The content is somewhat different to what you saw in your EASA skill tests, it's no more difficult, and much of it is quite fun to learn (if pointless - I've yet to find any practical application for a Lazy Eight). You would need a training visa, TSA clearance and PPL validation for it, which are just a few hundred dollars, some paperwork, and a trip to the embassy.

You can, incidentally, add an FAA Instrument Rating to both, or either.

[Or you can do what I did, which is both - so for PPL privileges I can use my 61.75 PPL so long as my EASA licence and medical are current and of-course my FAA Flight Review, then if I need FAA commercial privileges I just additionally need to ensure that my FAA medical is in date.]

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 14th Oct 2019 at 10:14.