PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 14th Oct 2019, 09:21
tiddles52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as a slight tangent, I wonder if the various authorities looking into the human factors of pilots interacting with ever more complex aircraft systems will also look at maintenance. It's fairly obvious from the LT flight before the crashed one that 3 pilots had their hands full with the stick shaker and stall horn going the entire way home, and trim disabled, that then resulted in a tech log writeup of "STS running in reverse" and the crew disappeared off home for bikkies and bed leaving a tech crew to scratch their head over what the entry meant.

The system is more suited to a tail dragger without electrics than a modern airliner with systems up the wazoo and intense 24/7 flying schedules and hundreds of passengers.

If I was recertifying the 737 I would at least insist on a EICAS type system that maintenance could access. We've agreed pilots can't be expected to be expert in all the underlying complexities of the aircraft engineering systems, yet we expect them to be able to write a spot on entry in the tech log. HF101 fail in my book, Add in low hour newbie pilots and it's an epic HF101 fail.

Last edited by tiddles52; 14th Oct 2019 at 13:54.