PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 14th Oct 2019, 02:12
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Glen, you are asking the wrong questions of the Board. Their responsibilities are for the OVERALL running of CASA. To that end they are responsible for ensuring that CASA meets the statutory responsibilities under the Act and that the organization is following a coherent and achievable strategic plan.

Your question to the Board, in my opinion, should be : “in view of the serious allegations made by me against CASA and CASAs response to them to date, do you maintain confidence in the DAS and by implication, the ability of CASA senior management to resolve this situation?” That question goes to the heart of the Boards duties and puts them on record. If everything blows up, then they are going down with the DAS.

The Board doesn’t get involved in these cases. Their job is to have a DAS who can resolve these matters........or find a new DAS.

When I was a CEO, my Board used to get agitated at me when people tried to bypass channels and get at the Board. It’s not the Boards job to understand the regulations, it’s to make sure there is a DAS who does. People think that the Board can help them if they could only explain things to them in person. It doesn’t work that way. If the Board listens to you and intervenes it does two things 1. White ants the DAS. 2. Sets a dangerous precedent such that no good DAS will work there if they have to put up with an interfering micro managing Board.

Questions the Board can legitimately ask the DAS: “how did this situation arise, what do you propose to do about it now and how do you propose to prevent such situations in future? If the answers aren’t satisfactory to the Board (and by implication Department and Minister) then go looking for a new DAS.

Last edited by Sunfish; 14th Oct 2019 at 02:23.