PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - East Midlands (EMA) massive growth in 2003
Old 9th Nov 2003, 22:59
Lite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMACargo, if you look back to a few years ago when British Midland Commuter ruled the skies over the Midlands, we used to have about three flights a day between EMA and FRA, but I dont think its too hard to see why British Midland ended the route.

You have to remember BD is partially owned by Lufthansa. Lufthansa complained to British Midland, that the EMA/FRA flight was beginning to eat into the passenger loads and profits of Lufthansa's own flights from nearby BHX and so British Midland was forced to close the route and said it was due to "disappointing passenger loads" however all the flights I was on, were near full; many transferring onto Lufthansa flights anyway.

Also, look at when bmibaby announced they were to take over the entire bmi regional operation at EMA last winter. One of the headlining routes was a daily flight to Copenhagen. However, again the bigger airline (SK) complained that it would cause SAS to have to cut fares on the BHX-CPH route and would most likely again cut into passenger loads and as such the airline suddenly pulled the routes before bookings took place.

Whilst there would be a lot of sense in flights to Scandinavia or Germany by bmibaby, I dont see much chance of it happening.

Although rumours of Snowflake and Germanwings continued expansion including the UK (including EMA) have been floating about so ... who knows!