PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2019, 17:00
flighthappens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LOMCEVAK
There is a fundamental difference between 'real gliders' and an aeroplane like a Hawk; glide angle (L/D ratio). You are acclimatised to a shallow glide angle plus spoilers to increase the angle on finals if you need to. When you have a much steeper glide angle, and for some types with gear and flaps down it is around 10 degrees, and no spoiler option to increase it if you need to, the required judgement is much different. Yes, you can sideslip some aircraft but it doesn't work in the Hawk. Your TAS is much higher and minimum turn radius much greater in a Hawk so if you realise that your sightline is too low then you have few options for varying ground track to correct it.

However, I am sure that few would turn down the opportunity to go gliding but I am not convinced it would really help judgement in higher drag aircraft.
agree with the above, also highlighting that comparing a (big handful rounded numbers only) 400lb aircraft that will stall at around 40kts with a 1:20+ glide ratio to a 8000lb aircraft, stalling at 145kts with a 1:10 glide ratio is a very different exercise in energy management. Personally I don’t believe they will directly compare!