PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question around Go-arounds
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2019, 20:51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Oh goodie.... another go around thread!

It's a normal aviation event. A go around is carried out because the option to continue would have resulted in something undesirable. They are always the safest choice. They are not dangerous. They are not reportable.
Surely whether or not it is a reportable occurrence depends on the reason for the GA.

A few years ago I was on a flight that was landing in St Lucia, a route that I had flown on about 50 times previously so I knew when to expect the landing gear to descend. (and as I'm normally in the front row of WT, it's extremely clear to hear when the gear is lowered or raised).
On this occasion, the aircraft was approaching the field and had gone well past the point that the gear was normally dropped and this hadn't happened. Then when the aircraft wasn't too far from the end of the runway, a go around was performed.
On the second approach, the landing gear was lowered where I would normally have expected it and the captain or co-pilot gave an announcement stating that the reason for the go around was due to a misconfiguration of the aircraft but he didn't go into any more detail.

I would have expected that this go around would have definitely been a reportable occurrence.

I know that with all of the automated warnings on modern aircraft that it's hard to believe this happened, but what I stated is exactly what occurred.