PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2019, 17:18
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOMCEVAK
I am afraid that I have to disagree with your first point. Whilst AOA indications could/should have given cues to avoid stalling, the height loss during the go-around is strongly a function of IAS, bank angle, weight and configuration (ie. rate of descent, angle to roll through and pitch attitude change). Therefore, they are all very relevant.

On your second point regarding command ejection systems, when the Hawk T1 entered service (1977), none of the other RAF/RN ejection seat equipped two-seat aircraft had a command ejection system (Phantom, Buccaneer, Jaguar T2, Harrier T4, Lightning, Hunter, Jet Provost).
My point about displayed AoA is that if used correctly on finals one should never get into the position R3 found himself. Yes, I agree there were many other "gates" and clues that were ignored that fateful day. Obviously height loss in a banked go-around at high weights can be significantly increased. In my day the first time that this was taught was at TWU for A/G dive recoveries. There was no mention (as far as I recall) at 4FTS. I do recall, however, "If its not right- throw it away and try again (having analysed errors made and corrections required "

As for Command Eject, my memory may be fading but I'm sure it was fitted at ALL models of F4. The implementation in the K/M was different to the D/E/F/G, however, they all had a Command Selector Valve?