PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check-in first, land second!
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2003, 19:47
radar707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rdtimelucky,

Just put you straight with regards to GLA -

If you're inbound via LANAK, and your on the inside, then you will be ahead of any jet traffic behind and outside you, if you're on the outside then you'll be following whatever is inside of you be it a jet a prop or whatever.

If you're inbound via ROBBO or FOYLE then we have the problem of spurious GPWS alerts to the north of the airfield, this restricts the speeds we lt you fly at since we are required to vector you for a 12 mile (or thereabouts) final at 3500ft.

I am a great believer (as are all the other controllers on my watch) in getting the ATP's and the Jetstreams in ahead of the jets, for the simple reasons you have stated, you can fly a whole lot faster down to 4 than the big boys behind you.

When I was training I learned this the hard way, told a 757 to keep his speed up to get the overtake, he duly complied, got the overtake and level separation, turned him onto base leg and he virtually stopped, the poor guy in the ATP behind him ended up getting a scenic tour of Stirling.

Ever since then, I'll get the props in ahead, providing they are on the inside approaching LANAK, or an obvious No 1 from the west.

There is no anti prop feeling amongst controllers, we determine what is likely to be the best landing order and sequence you appropriatel.

Next time you're in GLA, give us a call, come and see what we have to work with and manpower permitting we might be able to get you some time on the simulator so you can see just how easy it isn't