PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2019, 11:39
cessnapete

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver
Perhaps those who fell for the low-cost expansion, quick command, Emirates transfer is now paying the price for their decisions. I left low-cost command, joined a career airline (with seniority!) at the bottom, took a huge pay cut. But it got me where I wanted to be in life. I'd be utterly miffed of some top gun of my age, with a few thousand hours 777 command, would join as DEC. I served my time, stood down the money and now it's pay back time.

For those loosing their jobs due to bankruptcy (such as Thomas Cook), I sympathize. But it doesn't warrant to give up the whole seniority bit. Life is full of gambles, some which are beyond your control.
Seniority is the best of a difficult conundrum. I saw the nepotism and old boys network in the Military and previous airline.
Best trips, every weekend, Bank Holidays off, promotion due to influence by a best mate etc. etc.
Seniority is only part of your advancement. You still have to pass the subsequent promotional process. ie ability and suitability.
As an FO with the qualifications for promotion and some years under my belt, I would be really pi...d to have a DEC slot in above me just because he is perhaps cheaper or has a few more hours.
The "I was a Special Forces Hercules Captain syndrome" or similar sentiments, shouldn't get you promoted above suitable, but perhaps less experienced colleagues!