PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA urges ICAO to address erosion of 'manual' piloting skills
Old 10th Oct 2019, 20:14
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caboclo
Everyone acknowledges in principle that automation dependency is a bad thing, but almost all of my captains look at me funny when I ask to handfly all the way to altitude. The senior is instructor also pushes automation very hard.

+1 for learning to trim. That is indeed key, and very few of aforementioned captains ever touch it.

Re automation making the industry safer, that is true to a point, but still the problem of dependency remains. Also, a lot of the improvement in the accident rate is down to such things as EGPWS, TCAS, and precision approaches, rather than autopilots.

I was lucky. I never even saw a FD or had a functional, approach capable AP until I had 8000 hrs.
I look funny at pilots that hand fly all the way up, and then leave the AP on till 500ft on the approach. Climbing is easy, just keep the nose pointed up, once clean no more trimming required, and there is (mostly) no requirement to hit TOC at a specific spot. Hand flying the arrival takes a lot more skill, also, if the FD is on you might as well keep the AP on.....